Friday, October 23, 2009

Oops

When I first decided that I was going to become a master-blogger, I swore I would post diligently every single day without a miss. So, of course, in the face of this hubris, the first thing the Goddess of All Blogs caused me to do was to fall asleep yesterday evening without posting. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

It wasn't entirely my fault, though -- I was a Very Tired Girl, after a full day of celebration and frivolity in honour of the day of my birth, culminating in a host of phone calls from various well-wishers, acolytes, and general disciples, that went on till way after 11:00 p.m. That doesn't sound very late to you Bright Young People, I know, but to a creaking middle-aged woman who had stayed up past her bedtime the night before, listening to the sainted Philadelphia Phillies put away the Los Angeles Dodgers and tidily win the NLCS for the second year in a row, it was pushing the envelope, and I dozed off over a copy of Karen Armstrong's The Battle For God, only to awake with a sinking feeling of dread at 5:00 a.m. -- I defy anyone not to awaken with a sinking feeling of dread at 5:00 a.m. -- to the realization that I Had Not Posted. Mea cul...no, wait, I said that. Well, you get the point.

Just because I did not Post, however, does not mean that I enitely shirked my responsibility to this project. I am not the Incredible Dr. Postage for nothing. (Quite the contrary, I seem to be the Incredible Dr. Postage for everything. How did things get to such a pass so quickly?) As a matter of fact, on Thursday the 22nd -- yesterday -- I created the first letter in my set of 1,000, a rather long missive to my friend, Carolyn, who by the way, posts an excellent blog at www.goddessinateapot.wordpress.com (check it out) -- it was only fitting that this project begin with Carolyn, as we have been friends, and corresponding in one way and another, since before you were born -- and yesterday saw me hard at work at two letters, to good buddies Jane and Vince. The arithmetically inclined among you will notice that this output does not actually constitute slightly less than three letters a day, but the arithmetically inclined among you can just keep their opinions to themselves. It takes me awhile to build up a head of steam, that's all. Really.

And as far as that goes, it has come to my attention that, so far, I am posting into the thin air, for all the response I'm getting. Come along, boys and girls, step up -- all comments welcome and all responses guaranteed dire.

If a master-blogger posts and nobody reads it, does the sound of the petard on which she is hoisting make noise?

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! I do believe I count as an acolyte. I don't know what an acolyte is, but it sounds like something I would want to be. And thank you for the mention! People will read your blog -- it is funny and articulate and has a unique point of view -- they just have to find it. And when they do, they will read back to the first entries and see all the entries they missed. I love Karen Armstrong and will have to look that book up!

    ReplyDelete